Monday, April 27, 2009

About Dichroic Glass

NASA originally developed dichroic glass for use in satellite optics and visors. The glass I use is manufactured especially for kiln work, and has a very thin layer of metal oxides on one surface, which give the glass special optical properties.

Dichroic means two colours; it has a transmitted colour and a completely different reflected colour, as certain wavelengths of light either pass through or are reflected. This causes an array of colour to be displayed. The colours shift depending on the angle of view. This makes the glass extremely beautiful when worn, as when you move, the colours shift. Glass is notoriously difficult to photograph, and dichroic glass even more so.

I engrave by hand into the dichroic surface of the glass to form an image or pattern. Sheets of glass with patterns laser etched are available to buy, but as these are machine made, they are identical. I prefer to use my own unique designs so that my customers know they will own a one off piece of art glass.

I then fuse this piece of glass with its engraved dichroic layer together with other glass pieces to make a pendant. I usually layer a clear piece of glass over the dichroic glass to seal in the design and give the pendant extra depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment